Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sushi Night!

Yes, yes I did it. Finally....

After living out of boxes for 2 weeks because the move was postponed, and being packed 2-3 weeks prior to that in prep for the move... I haven't made sushi in a while. Typically, I make it up to once or twice a week, just because I love it. So does my roommate. So do my friends. It's just a lot of work actually getting it done.

Photobucket



The good news is that the more you make it, the better you get at it.(Sometimes... I do find that rolls at times just don't want to cooperate, so I just don't let THOSE leave the kitchen!!)

Well, I've been in the new place a week. Unpacked quite a few of the kitchen things, and of course, one of the first to come out was the rice steamer!

Photobucket



I promised the people that actually showed up and helped my roomie and I move that I would make them sushi- so I figured heck, it's Shan's birthday as well... So I'm going to do both!

For her, I made an angel food cake in a special pan that I found. Flip them out, you've got a heart shape inside that you can put filling in to- it's neat. So in went some fresh sliced and mashed strawberries and coolwhip. Outside was more as frosting- so it wouldn't be too rich and fattening, and decorated with more sliced strawberries- delicious! (no pictures, I forgot!)

Now for the sushi- I made a lot. Epic amounts! The ones I have here pictured don't include the two additional platters I whipped up since they were still hungry... But this should suffice for now! I think a lot of what made it easier to make this time around is all new counterspace I now have in the new apartment! It's expansive! I have room to move! Plus, I tried a different way of prepping for dinner. I made the rolls first, then cut them all at once- instead of making one at a time, and then cutting each as I go along. It worked!

Photobucket



Spicy Tuna mixed and marinating in the bowl!

Photobucket



Just Roll With It!

From the foreground: Philadelphila Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll.
Philadelphia roll is Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese and Cucumber- wonderfully refreshing!
Spicy Tuna is Yellowfin, scallions, Japanese Mayo and Siracha Sauce mixed and marinated... Then rolled up! I like it because you can adjust how spicy or creamy you want the Tuna filling to be.

Photobucket



And here's a new one! It's Sesame Teriyaki Chicken. Oh was it gooooood! Different change of pace- but hey, sushi can be made with anything! I boiled a chicken breast, cut it into thin slices, and then drizzled Teriyaki marinade over it and let it sit for a few hours to infuse the flavor. A few drops of Sesame Oil- OH! Heaven!

Photobucket



This is another flavor packed one- Sunshine Roll: California Roll, with Smoked Salmon layered outside and drizzled with fresh tart lemon juice- oh so tasty!

Photobucket



And the tasty Dragon Roll- this one has got to be one of my personal favorites! Unagi (eel) and ripe avocado make up the inside filling, roll it up and top with more avocado. Top it off with Unagi Sauce and there you have it!

Photobucket



I also tried some new things with the Nigiri Sushi- I typically do shrimp, and snow crab. The crab drives me nuts though, because the pieces are so thin, and it's difficult to balance them on top of a skinny piece of rice... But I made a few. I also forgot that Yellowfin is absolutely delicious when it's served as Nigiri Sushi. Thinly sliced Tuna is packed full of flavor, it melts in your mouth like butter! And of course the Shrimp Nigiri is tucked into the center of the platter- nothing like sweet succulent shrimp!

Photobucket



And the new addition that will be at my table often now- Tilapia Nigiri. It's a very sweet, mild tasting fish, and I love it cooked (as you've seen from other recipes). I've just never actually had it as sushi. But the roomie picked some up at the store, of course it's especially prepared to be served as a sushi item- not just frozen fillets you buy to cook at home- and made nigiri. Drizzled with a bit of lemon- I'm telling you it absolutely is one of the best things I've tasted in a long time!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails