Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tri-Cut Steak with Gorgonzola Bleu Cheese, And A Side Of Salad Thanks!

So I didn't think I'd actually do one of these again before the move... Which happens in three days... Yay!

I just found out I'm still sick with bronchitis, and the Doc says I have to basically take it easy. Stay quiet. I don't listen well... I'm used to getting things done, working, giving 150%. This is a hard blow to deal with. And, to share a bit of personal history for a moment, I'm a very severe asthmatic. They've lost me 3 times- but I thank whomever's upstairs for letting me stick around and continuing to forge my path through life. Essentially- when I get sick, either it's quick and over with... Or I get it really bad, and it hangs around forever. It seems that this case of bronchitis is one of those "let's hunker in and stay a while" colds. It's been 2 weeks, and I'm still running a low-grade fever, whistling when I breathe- hence the new nickname "Wheezy the 8th Dwarf" (lol), back on meds... BLAH BLAH BLAH. Enough. Let's get to food.

I had to pick up new meds from the pharmacy- and, well, since Wegman's is such a kick ass grocery store- I always end up poking around and buying a few things. Habit. Can't walk through that store and not pick something up.

Up today- a Tri-Cut steak.
Looks like a flank steak, but just in triangle form. Meh. Figured what the heck. Steak is steak is steak. Right?
Yes!

Next on the list- Gorgonzola Bleu Cheese and a good Balsamic Vinegar. Also pick up a fresh roma tomato or two, a bunch of fresh basil, a bag of your choice of salad, a good sized chunk of fresh mozarella cheese, and a bottle of white balsamic vinegar. (It's a delicious alternative to the more robust, intense flavor of regular balsamic. You can, of course, use the regular kind for the salad dressing as well- I just like the milder flavor which compliments the mozarella, basil and tomatoes.)

Ok. Got home, tore right in to the steak! Yum!
Line a pan, that's just big enough to hold the meat, with saran wrap. Put the steak in, and drizzle with about 1/3 cup of the regular Balsamic Vinegar. You can also add McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning for a little extra flavor and kick- which I did!

This is what you should get:

Photobucket

Let the meaty goodness marinate for a few hours, flipping it over about every 1/2 hour or so... Or longer. Depending on how busy you are!
For the tastiest, fall apart, melt in your mouth steak- let it marinate for at least 24 hours. When you're ready to cook it, set your oven to Broil and line a roasting pan with the grate top with tinfoil- easy clean up! I'm a big fan of it!

Photobucket

Take out your meat, lay it on the foil and broil each side about 8 minutes for a medium done steak. Cook longer for more well done, or less for rare.

While it's cooking, dice up about 1/2 cup of the mozarella and a tomato in to little cubes. Take about 6 fresh basil leaves, and chop them up as well. Mix all together in a small bowl, and add about 1/3-1/2 cup of the White Balsamic Vinegar and 1/4 cup of Olive Oil. Mix well, and this is the tasty mix:

Photobucket

The steak should be done now, so go ahead and take it out and let rest for about 2 min to let the juices settle. Go ahead and put salad on the plates, sprinkle with a little of the gorgonzola cheese, and top with the mozarella/tomato mix. This is the dressing for the salad- you don't need another dressing!! Cut the steak in to good sized chunks, and sprinkle more of the gorgonzola over the meat.

Photobucket

The way the cheese gets all melty, and the balsamic flavor for the meat mingles with the mozarella, tomatoes and basil from the salad... MMMMMM!

This is what should grace your plate- what do you think?!?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails